Palazzo Jung Associated to Legality (by Sergio Scialabba)

A Detail of the Palace: a Surmounting Sign

by Sergio Scialabba

In the name of culture and legality, The Blue Library, dedicated to the 20th century, was presented in preview at Palazzo Jung. Concurrently, the project The Museum of the Present -Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino of the Falcone Foundation was launched, to which the Metropolitan City of Palermo has assigned the space for the next 20 years.

The Neoclassical Palazzo Jung in 1921 became the residence of Mario, Guido and Ugo Jung, Jewish brothers who arrived from Milan in the early 19th century to establish a large export business of dried fruit, essences, citrus fruits, and sumac.

The building was a private residence until the early 20th century. It was purchased by the Province of Palermo – currently known as Citta Metropolitana – in 1959. The province, then, carried out a plan of restoration works, which started a few years before and were completed in the summer of 1997.

The restoration works affected a total area of about 6,000 square meters, divided between the ground floor, first and second floor, plus a series of mezzanines and, of course, the beautiful garden.

The Hanukkiah at the top of the Leucatia Castle

The entire school population (teachers, ATA staff, parents, citizens, students – both boys and girls) was invited to visit the library and to the presentation of the project.

In Catania, on the ground floor of Leucatia Castle, is the library – cultural center named after Rosario Livatino, the judge brutally assassinated by the mafia on September 21, 1990.

In 2022, the first Synagogue in Catania since the 15th century was inaugurated at the Castle. Establishing a connection between Palermo and Catania through their respective libraries, both of which are inspired by culture and legality, could foster a sense of shared values and mutual respect.

vedi

Angelosanto al posto di Pecoraro

e il commento

La fine di Riina, l’inizio della destra e Carl Gustav Jung